Hi everyone and happy International Women’s Day! 🎉🌷
Social anxiety affects women more severely than men and there’s a general sense that the way girls are socialised to follow rules and be nice to others might be one reason behind it.
This idea that we should be well-liked and not upset others can bring about social anxiety in adult life, and affect women specifically at work.
Some of these might resonate:
- Feeling scared of asking for a raise for fear of being seen as unreasonable
- Being afraid to speak up in meetings
- Over-analysing every social interaction and feeling exhausted afterwards
If this resonates, please remember that it’s very common and that social anxiety is highly treatable.
This week I’d like to encourage us to think of just one small step that we can do to feel less anxious at work.
- schedule a 5-min meditation break before a meeting you’re anxious about
- write an affirmation that helps you feel better as a reminder on your phone, e.g. I am ok just as I am and I don’t need to change myself to be liked.
- Set an intention that when you feel anxiety coming up, you will notice it and journal about it for a few minutes.
Now onto you:
What’s a small thing you can do to feel less anxious at work?
You can do this exercise in your mind or you can share your answer below in comments to inspire others with ideas.
Whatever you choose, please remember to do what feels right ❤️